Sunday 18 December 2011

The Bible is the most shop-lifted book in the world.

During the morning till afternoon, I was really bored & I only enjoyed the company of my dogs being indoor for once. So I decided to browse through the blogging community and read Richie's post on religion quite a few months back ago I think. Then I read Dougie's post on religion right after & thought that I should talk about that too. 
In my opinion, religion is part of our history, culture and our identity. But I strongly agree with Durga that it is a 'dying breed'. I don't think it will ever become extinct though, but who knows where the world will come to. To me & many others, religion is extremely important and should be passed down generation to generation. I think majority of parents these days don't spend enough time telling their children about their religion. By telling, I don't mean saying that they have to follow & believe in that particular god becos he created us and etc. What I mean is explaining the origins, the myths, the stories, the history and why it's important in our everyday lives. Parents should've force their children to follow that particular religion but should more guide them through the experiences whether it'll be praying, celebrating Christmas, Sunday church, temple, etc. Whatever happens, we should all respect all religions even if we've never heard of them or understand it..which brings me to the next bit. 

Before, I've always been puzzled & in disbelief with Hinduism but I still respected it. I hope no one takes offence of this because I'm not finished talking about this yet but I always thought, how could people believe in a blue person or an elephant man or a person with multiple pairs of arms. I wasn't rude or judged Hindus with my prior thought, I just simply didn't understand. That was before Anmol, Mable & I sat down behind one of the shelves in the school library one morning. Anmol was recently read books on Hinduism & was telling the base of the religion and the stories & history that follow it. I was interested 100%. Eyes locked onto Anmol & the way she explained some stories with her hands. I don't want to go that much into it becos it'll be too long but that moment opened my mind up a bit more. I learnt that the images of the elephant, blue man & etc are basically fractions of a myth/story or god fused into one image to remind people what they actually are. I suck at explaining things but it's like they are representations of a story or god. 
After that, I was asking Dougie to tell me some stories she knew & I was really fascinated with everything. I borrowed books from the library and tried to absorb everything. Hinduism is truly spectacular & filled with wonders. It's a really deep, historic and ancient religion that will hopefully exist in the future for generations along with other religions. Just by that, I even know more than some Hindus and has just changed my attitudes towards them. If you don't understand the image representation thing then ask some of your Hindu friends, I'm sure they'll explain it better than me :L 

So overall, religion should be respected & shared for as long as possible. It's just a shame that people are losing faith and belief in not just their god but also themselves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment