Sunday 8 January 2012

The biggest tapeworm ever found inside the human body was 35 metres long.

SYDNEY AQUARIUM

So if you know me well enough, I love(d) the aquarium. Whenever I'm having a bad day or just of of the blue I would just want to go to the aquarium. Yesterday, I finally went with my sisters & everything was great until I realised my favourite bit of the aquarium was taken out. But before I get to that, let's rewind. 

When we first entered, on display was the 'boring' fish like ordinary fishes you see randomly at places. I like turtles so I spent forever trying to get a good photo but it was too dark in there & I didn't want to use my flash to hurt it's eyes, so I aimed to take a shot while another person took it but with his flash. Efficient! 
It's changed so much! Before or every section, they have these amazing statues built of entirely Lego blocks. It was pretty cool. After the jellyfish, octopus (I used to think the plural for octopus was octopussies LOL) & penguins, we entered the underwater tunnels, which is probably the main highlight of the underwater journey. I love the atmosphere in there, especially how the ripples on the surface of the water shine through the glass and makes it's reflection on the floor. I tried to photograph Dory but those fishies know when you bring out your camera and just rapidly swim away. I don't blame them, I would do the same thing. I think I kinda rushed through just to see the final bit, my favourite section. 
They had a huge display of a tank filled with sea creatures; jellyfish, dory, sharks, hammerhead sharks, dugongs, dolphins, etc. It was mystically dark. The atmosphere was just delightful to me. They also played this classical piece, which complemented the movement of the creatures. They had a few block seats if you just wanted to sit and watch. I would pay just for that. Even though it doesn't seem like much, it was so simple and I like simple things. If you don't know the music I'm talking about, here's the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISSk4yGGZds

I think after going to the aquarium, I felt more sympathy, guilt & concern than joyful and fascination. It's because all these creatures are trapped in these tanks, too small. Yeah, it fits everything but they need so much room to swim and submerge around just like us. I remember seeing the octopus just sucking onto the tiny glass. It has nothing else to do except fascinate children from it's boredom of it's suckulent tentacles. Imagine if you were just suspended in a glass just walking around, until you die. The aquarium isn't what it was and it doesn't make me happy anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment